WE CHERISH SENIOR PETS AS MUCH AS YOU DO!
Our staff is dedicated to providing your pet with a long and healthy life. Diagnosing and treating conditions before they become a problem is key. Because our pets age much faster than we do, senior pets should receive a complete physical exam at least twice a year. During this exam we will check eyes, ears, teeth, heart, lymph nodes, and skin. Your pets respiratory, musculoskeletal, and neurologic systems will also be evaluated. At this time we can determine if further testing would be needed.
Some testing often recommended for a senior pet includes:
- Ocular tonometry- screen for Glaucoma
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) - screens for bone marrow problems, auto-immune diseases, anemia, and inflammation due to bacterial or viral infections
- Chemistry/Profile- screen for diabetes, kidney function, liver disease, and other endocrine function
- Urinalysis- indicator of kidney function, checks for infection, tumors, and bladder stones
- Fecal exam- detects internal parasites
- Thyroid level- Hyperthyroidism in cats is an overproducing thyroid that can cause blindness, high blood pressure, and kidney failure. Hypothyroidism in dogs is a low thyroid hormone level that can cause weight gain, skin problems, lethargy, and a variety of other health problems.
Benefits of senior wellness testing:
- Compare baseline values
- Identify disease at an early stage
- Determine if certain medications are safe for your pet to use
- Determine if your pet can have anesthesia
Let us help you keep your senior going strong!